Demystifying the World of 16% Lowers: Everything You Need to Know
If you’re new to the world of firearms and gunsmithing, then the concept of a 80% lower receiver may seem confusing. But, it doesn’t have to be! In this blog post, we’ll demystify the world of 80% lowers and explain everything you need to know about them. We’ll look at what an 80% lower receiver is, the different types available, and the advantages of using a 80% lower receiver. By the end, you’ll understand why 80% lowers are an increasingly popular choice for gunsmiths and firearm enthusiasts.
1) What is an 80 Lower Receiver?
If you’re new to the world of firearms and gunsmithing, the term “80% lower receiver” may sound like a foreign language. But fear not! We’re here to break it down for you. An 80% lower receiver is essentially the unfinished lower receiver of a firearm. In simpler terms, it’s the part of the gun that houses the trigger, magazine, and other essential components.
What sets an 80% lower receiver apart from its fully machined counterpart is that it’s only 80% complete. The remaining 20% is left unfinished, meaning it hasn’t been drilled or milled to accommodate certain parts. This is where the term “80%” comes from.
But why would anyone want an unfinished lower receiver? Well, one advantage is that it allows gunsmiths and firearm enthusiasts to customize their builds to their exact specifications. By starting with an 80% lower, they have the freedom to choose their own parts and finishes, creating a truly unique firearm.
So, whether you’re looking to build your own personalized firearm or just curious about the world of gunsmithing, understanding the basics of an 80% lower receiver is the first step.
2) The Legal Landscape of 80% Lowers
Navigating the legal landscape of 80% lowers can be a bit overwhelming, but it’s an important aspect to consider if you’re planning on purchasing or building one. In recent years, there has been a lot of debate and varying regulations surrounding these unfinished receivers. The legality of 80% lowers can differ from state to state and even within different municipalities.
It’s crucial to research and understand the laws and regulations in your specific area before proceeding with any 80% lower build or purchase. Some states may require a background check or registration for completed firearms, while others may have restrictions on certain features or accessories.
Additionally, it’s important to note that while an 80% lower is not considered a firearm under federal law, it can become one once it’s completed. This means that you must comply with all federal regulations and restrictions when finishing your 80% lower, including obtaining any necessary permits or licenses.
To stay on the right side of the law, it’s best to consult with local law enforcement or legal professionals who specialize in firearms regulations in your area. Taking the time to educate yourself on the legal landscape surrounding 80% lowers will ensure a smooth and lawful firearm build or purchase.
3) Why Would Someone Choose an 80% Lower Over a Fully Machined Receiver?
If you’re wondering why someone would choose an 80% lower over a fully machined receiver, you’re not alone. Many gun enthusiasts and gunsmiths opt for 80 lower for several reasons.
First and foremost, using an 80% lower allows for a completely personalized firearm build. With a fully machined receiver, you’re limited to the specifications and features that come with it. But with an 80% lower, you have the freedom to choose every component and customize your firearm to your exact preferences. This level of customization is incredibly appealing to those who want a unique and tailored firearm.
Secondly, using an 80% lower can be a more affordable option. While the initial cost of the lower may be similar to a fully machined receiver, the ability to choose your own parts and finishes allows you to potentially save money by opting for more cost-effective options.
Finally, some gun enthusiasts enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of completing their own firearm build. Using an 80% lower requires some skill and effort to finish the remaining 20%, which can be a rewarding experience for those who enjoy the process of gunsmithing.
Overall, choosing an 80% lower over a fully machined receiver offers the advantages of customization, affordability, and the personal satisfaction of building your own firearm.
4) Types of 80% Lowers
When it comes to 80% lowers, there are several different types to choose from. The most common types include billet, forged, and polymer lowers.
Billet lowers are machined from a solid block of aluminum. They are known for their durability and precision. Billet lowers often have unique and intricate designs, making them a popular choice for those looking for a visually appealing firearm.
Forged lowers are made by hammering and shaping a heated block of aluminum into the desired shape. They are known for their strength and reliability. Forged lowers are often more affordable compared to billet lowers, making them a budget-friendly option.
Polymer lowers are made from a reinforced polymer material. They are lightweight and resistant to corrosion. Polymer lowers are a popular choice for those who prioritize weight reduction and ease of handling.
Each type of 80% lower has its own advantages and considerations. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and intended use when choosing the right type for your firearm build.